How much mud running into your pond from a nearby construction site is too much?

Two neighbors and I have recently been gifted with mud-laden water running into our ponds from a private road construction site. Attempts to discuss this with the owner were met with assurances that he would take care of the problem, but he followed up with band-aids, and the mud kept coming. We three are agreed that it is not our goal to punish the mudder or to ask for any kind of damages, so long as he takes all reasonable steps to avoid future damage and to repair any which has been done.

We decided that since we were going to have to take action, anyway, our goal would be zero mud from then on. We hired an hydrology firm to take water samples after a rain, and when the results were back the firm filed a notice of violation with the Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM). Turns out the builder had never filed for a required ADEM permit. After the gentleman discovered we were serious, he hired a company to take care of the problem. Two of the three of us now have no mud flowing in, but the third still has a problem, although the environmental firm is laboring mightily to prevent it.

I have found it interesting to see how much can be done to stop mud flowing in runoff water. What I am not sure of is how seriously I should take inflow which is muddy enough to change the color of the pond but which doesn't seem to be heavily silt-laden. For now, that is not happening, but I don't know about the future.

How much mud is too much? What else should we do?
Thanks,
Lou

45 y.o. 13 ac pond/Shelby cnty AL,