Originally Posted By: Cody Veach
I love being at my ponds and I know what I do does not work for every one. When I refurbished, " mucked out" my big pond on my moms property I spent a year non stop removing FA next year I had chare so thi k you could walk on it. Pulled it out non stop. Past two years the pond has been pristine . Added grass carp and have aeration but I believe as I removed the plants nonstop I removed what ever nutrient load that was in the pond. I can't argue with the success .

Well I'm getting a start on it. This is a picture of my first attempt of FA going to a compost pile. I might have got 10% of it. No way I'm going to even keep up with it, let alone get ahead of it. I have a shallow area where there is gravel and rocks for spawning that is covered with FA. Pretty sure the fish will not use it as is, so will try to remove the FA at least from this shallow area. Water is down 15" so this area that is normally 2-4' deep is pretty shallow and a good time to remove the FA. When I raked the FA up, was a black stinky layer under it. Area looked pretty good with the FA gone when the sediment stirred up settled out.

Most of my water is deep enough FA should not be a problem except around the shore line. I may try DonoBBD's hydrated lime idea around part of the shore line. Will not remove the nutrients that way though, just recycle them.

Attached Images
025.JPG
Last edited by snrub; 04/08/14 09:53 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine