Brian, you asked my opinion earlier on the phone about your LMB brood program - you know I don’t give advice without prior experience - but - if X-topia was my brood pond, and It isn’t - I know exactly the plan I would execute - I envy your opportunity.

First of all - the LMB spawn is already in progress in many ponds in our area - probably too late to harvest new brood stock. These cold fronts coming through are moving the bass off and on the beds.

I would talk to Overton about availability of his projected June availability of this year’s Camelot Bell spawn and purchase fingerling numbers recommended by Todd for maximum survivability.

In the meantime I would build the maximum forage base for X-topia by transferring as many CNBG, tilapia and FHM from G-topia and M-topia for CB fingerlings.

Yeah, there will be cannibalism but you want the to maintain the fastest growing “jumpers” for future brood stock - feed them heavily with trapped or net forage throughout the growing season and transfer smaller CB to main pond caught by hook and line.

This would be a great opportunity to preserve pure CB LMB genetics to jump start a world class fishery. Any bloodstock currently harvested would have questionable genetics IMO.

I would rely on Todd for management advice.
This would be my dream!

Good luck on your plan,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)