I would say you are probably right about the minnows not needing it. There is probably plenty of natural feed for them without it, and them eating the feed means likely they are leaving an equal amount of natural life for something else to use (like FA maybe?). So I might of actually been doing more harm than good. These were the half grown FHM's that hung around the very edge of the water. The adults I threw the feed out in 2-3' of water where the 2-3" BG would also work on it (sinking feed).

Thing of it is, it was more for my benefit than theirs for the half grown FHM's as I liked to see them work on the pellets around the edge. Guess there is something about a pond that I put all those stocking fish out there and it is nice to see some reproduction and evidence. Most of it stays hidden from our sight.

Having said all that, all those tiny FHM's are not to be seen this spring so either A. the 3" LMB I stocked last fall ate them in the fall and winter or B. they grew up. I have harvested at least ten pounds of FHM's to stock sons and daughters ponds and doesn't seem like I made a dent in them. I can put some feed in a minnow trap and 30 minutes later have it a third full of minnows. Wait an hour and it is half full. So either on their own or with the help of the feed, they certainly did ok somehow.

I've been feeding the adult FHM's for two or three weeks now hoping to get one last good spawn year before the LMB get big enough to wipe them out. They go after the feed like pigs in a pen and will clean up any amount I have put out so far in short order. About 1-2 gallons of feed a day for a 3 acre pond, depending if I get out there once or twice. The BG are starting to get some of it the last week. I have definitely had minnow production. I feed a mix of sinking and floating, depending on wind conditions.

Put a camera in the water yesterday and dropped it on the bottom. Dropped some feed down where I could see it in about 5-6' of water. Occasional BG came by but a mass of FHM's came and mobbed the feed. I think it is going to be fun to watch this episode when the LMB get big enough and smart enough to come by at feeding time and feast on FHM's. I expect to see a mass of FHM's, see them scatter and the glimpse of a LMB streak by in front of the camera. A movie coming later this spring and summer. smile

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine