I think that Rainman Rex hit the major points. I love to fish the Shenandoah South Fork and Potomac South Fork rivers. At different times of the year, they become almost impassible, even in a kayak, with FA -- but the SMB fishing becomes incredible using top water baits, poppers, and flies.

I've probably caught more citation size SMB at these times than during any other times during the last 40 years. We usually do pretty well with trophy size BG during these same times. This happens about 2-3 times a year, starting shortly after ice-out, through August. Each time with similar looking FA.

When my main pond now gets hit with FA that floats up, it looks like a Senior's bus tour of old cows and steers that took a rest stop break. Nothing bites during those times.

With a lot of settling ponds in my major watershed areas, diversion wetlands, vegetation, and keeping my pond edges will vegetated, I've really cut down on FA in my ponds.

I think my oveall fishing is better -- but, we seldom keep records anymore, and just enjoy 3-4 generations catching dinner.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!