Originally Posted By: KSBASS
I looked on the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Website to see what they were. They have no reports of the rusty crawfish in Kansas. So i should be safe there.

We may not have the Rusty variety but whatever the variety we have locally is, they are nasty little buggers.

Caught some one time for the kiddies along with some local minnows and very small green sunfish to keep in the aquarium. Our kids were little and wanted to let them watch some local species. Wife went to a lot of trouble and put in nice natural grass and weeds from the creek in dirt containers in the bottom of the aquarium along with gravel. Even had some local tiny mussels.

Those enterprising little crawdads dug out every plant in the aquarium in a short order and made a mess out of her well laid aquarium plans.

Had them another time in with some of her goldfish. I put them in an already established goldfish "bowl". Wife noticed the tails were torn up on her "fancy" gold fish. Thought they were sick or something. One day caught one of the cradads hanging on to the tail of a gold fish while the fish was swimming around. The crawdad was using its smaller pincers to eat the goldfish tail while holding on with one big pincer all the while the goldfish was swimming around the bowl.

Tough, enterprising, onery little buggers they are.

Last edited by snrub; 03/28/14 02:34 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine