You have good advice so far. Most of us have been there done that.
My intent is not to be negative but realistic.
Great advice & explanation from DD1. You have been provided several good options each will lead to a decent pond but maybe not to regularly producing 8 lb to 10 lb bass in a small 2 ac pond.

I think the Bob Lusk's advice of 7 lg BG for each current large bass via George1 is sort of out dated and occurred years ago and directed or intended for salvaging that specific pond and not necessarily for growing trophy bass which you said is your goal. Lusk will probably agree. I am pretty sure Lusk would advise you differently today. If anyone doubts me,,, call him and pay him to evaluate your situation.

IMO in your current situation with 90 larger LMB, you will likely and within reason never get to where you commonly grow 8 lb to 10 lb bass in 2 ac. If you only had 6-10 female LMB in the pond, then yes that can be done. If you seriously want even a chance to do that, then start over. We do not know the age and growth potential of the bucket biology or stocker bass. Even if you start over, it is really difficult to consistently and for one in the long term to grow 8 lb+ reproducing bass in a small 2 ac pond unless you perform the best and 'out of the box' management practices. Plus you will need deep pockets to supplementally stock proper forage each year, such as trout (7"-10") and treadfins.

One path to 8 lb-10 lb LMB is to use gizzard shad when the bass get above the 5 lb range. I'm not sure this is even feasible in a 2 ac pond when the ecosystem is small and somewhat limited. If the pond was 20 ac then yes maybe gizzard shad are a good choice. All interested should read B.Lusk's book raising Trophy Bass - publ. 2000. Personally I think this good book is getting outdated and needs to have an updated 2nd edition that incorporates new information since the original was written.
http://www.pondboss.com/store.asp?c=8

If you think you want to buy your way out of the current situation, then go back and read my previous plan. You will need at least 200-400 lbs of mixed size and species of forage, and 400-600 lbs in 2 ac would be better. Even that amount of forage IMO will not lead to the 8 lb+ bass probably because the current bass genetics were likely not the best they could be. Genetics are a key item to producing consistent trophy bass over the long term. The 3 other necessary items are: a. habitat - including water body size & optimum fertility & productivity, b. optimum forage, and c. best management. IMO you are currently weak on all four requirements. How do you expect to grow the cows in DD1's example without proper grass or food? I think you can realistically salvage your current situation and regularly produce 3-5lb bass but not commonly and consistently grow and catch 8 lb+ bass in a 2 ac mixed sex pond.

The example I gave for G.Grimes producing 3 - 5 lb bass in one year was in larger waters than 2 ac; often it is in 15-40+ ac.

It would be a very interesting and educational experiment to see how many of those 90 bass that you could catch by angling out of the pond before they spawn.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/27/14 01:06 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management