My back yard is wet pretty much year round. Just to the west of my back yard there is a pond/swampy area that fluctuates maybe 6-12" depending the time of year. However in the 4 years I have lived here it has never completely dried out or flooded. I'm guessing it's only 2 or so feet deep. The transit showed my back yard is only approximately 6-12" above the water level of that pond/swamp. The 2 excavating companies I have had out both felt I am right at the water table which is causing my yard to be wet year round. I am having approximately 2,000-3,000 yds of fill trucked in this summer to raise my yard and hopefully fix the problem. One desire I have however is to dig a pond on the east side of my yard to help with some of the fill and to possibly stock with fish. It will be around 75'x100' in somewhat of an oval shape if done and around 8-12 ft at the deepest if the slope will allow it.

I would then like to french drain my back yard into the pond. Since the swamp/pond to the west has never flooded or dried out in the time I have lived here I am assuming the new pond will naturally remain the same level as well...??

Another question is will I have major problems trying to dig a pond that is at or near the water table? I could pump the water out as I dig however since we are already in a low spot I don't have too many options on where to pump the water to.

Also there is an extreme amount of sand in my area. I will dig test holes first but if I actually do hit sand will this be a major issue? Since I am relying on the water table to keep my pond full I wouldn't necessarily think I want to clay line it but not sure.? However if I don't line it I am under the impression the pond will simply fill itself in over time. If I do clay line it how will the water enter the pond to naturally keep it full?

Another thought I had was put in a drain tile from the existing swamp/pond to the west and allow both sites to equalize themselves.

Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

I have (hopefully) attached a picture of my back yard for reference. The existing pond/swamp is out of the picture but on the right side just past the trees. The area for the new pond I would like to dig is on the left side of the picture just off the grassy area.

Thanks again!

Attached Images
photo.JPG