Hi Jaime - been following this post with interest as I'm a cool water species fishery fanatic myself. You're in great hands with Cody's vast experience on the stocking plan, and I love your strategy on the rock structure thus far.

While the water level is still low, consider creating at least a couple SMB beds elevated from the clay bottom. I've built SMB beds in several ways, and found those directly on the bottom routinely silt in or get covered in organic matter and become "buried" in a few seasons. It's difficult to retrieve the rock and excavate them from 6" of silt/clay/etc. Here's an example of my beds placed on the bottom of the pond after 4 seasons...this is typical of Eastern NE clay bottom ponds - your situation may be different.

I now use this design for my own SMB reproduction pond and for clients/friends and have great success. The beds allow for silt and organic matter to filter through the elevated pallet and plastic mesh below the rock bed. It would likely take 20 seasons before enough silt/organic matter built up to threaten the beds - at which time the pond would likely require renovation anyhow. Originally I was concerned with the elevation - however following 3 seasons the SMB don't seem to mind.

Beds are elevated on cinder blocks, pallet set, mesh applied.

Cinder blocks placed to create "horseshoe" spawning abode.

Rock added for the bed - I use 1-3" limestone.

This shot provides a view of the degree of elevation.

I add limestone and PVC around the bed to try and naturalize the appearance and provide SMB fry with some cover to escape cannibalism. I vary my bed depths from 2-6' and have not experienced that fish routinely favor one depth over another - seems to vary annually due to conditions beyond my grasp.

Looks like a great project, hope some of this helps you achieve your goals of SMB recruitment. I think you'll appreciate the condition of your raised beds compared to those designed on the bottom of the pond following a few seasons.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]