Well three acres Bill has given you some great advice, Essup is right on the money and I bet as this tread expands you'll get more solid advice.
My pond was dug in Sept 06. I just added 8 mature SMB from Cecil last spring so this summer will be interesting as far as keeping it balanced. Bills response about the SFS and BN kinda scares me cause if the SMB spawn they will have a heyday. I don't know if they will because when I built my pond I placed the SMB beds at between 2 & 4' but my pond has a leak and is a ground level pond. The last few dry yrs have had over half of my beds exposed and the rest very shallow. The pond was dug to be 12' but is usually around 9.5. Hopefully with this yrs snow the ground water table will be higher and my pond may stay more full. I was fortunate to obtain about 16 YP ranging from 8-14" in the spring of 07 (post spawn) and added 50 3-5". Without seeking guidance I put in 50 3-5" HSB which resulted in the quick demise of the FH (they're not the only thing around the pond that is slow and stupid) but man did those HSB grow fast. I took out 28 around late Aug. and they are now 20+"s. I believe I put in 5 4-6" WE in 09 which are now around 17"s. Also without consultation I put in 6 5" Koi that I've shot out or caught out all but one. He is very smart and secretive.
I am in Fl until mid to late April depending on the weather but when I get back I'll have ya up for a tour (the whole 100'X100') and we'll catch some for size checking. I'll pm ya my info.
Keep asking ?s even tho it seems you are already well educated in what ya want and how to go about it.
Scott, Bill showed me his TP spawning trees and they are 3-5 saplings strapped together to make the tops real full, kinda like hardwood sapling xmas trees. He may elaborate. Cecil if yer branches are 40-50' apart you put in tooooo big of a tree.(sorry, couldn't resist)

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.