Im getting geared up to stock my new 3 ac pond this spring and have done a lot of research on this site and must say thank you for all the great info..

My primary goals are trophy SMB and big plump YP for the table. I do plan to feed purina aqua max. to maximize fish growth. I will be aerating the pond also.

My pond is about half full at this point so I have 6' of water in the deeper areas. I am pumping water in from my well and as the snow melts it will hopefully fill quickly. I'm guessing it to be around mid-late April before it is full pool.

My plans are to stock 300 6-8" pellet trained YP as soon as possible in hopes I can get a spawn this spring... I also plan on 250 2-3" RES with 60# of FHM and 20# of golden shiners.

I will wait until fall to stock 120 SMB.

Does anyone see any problems stocking the fish this spring given my water depths and it being a new pond?? I have put a lot of concrete slabs and rock/gravel for spawning. Also I am adding several plastic structures I have made out of 55 gallon drums and irrigation pipe. The pond has a 10' ledge running all the way around that is about 4' deep and also 2 long ridges running down the middle of the pond that will be 3 1/2 to 5' deep when at full pool.

Also how do the numbers of fish Im stocking look?

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by 3 acre pond; 02/18/14 03:47 PM.