Here in Georgia I manage all ponds for no weeds and I never plant any. the only plants I'm worried about are phytoplankton variety. you need to learn how to control plants like water lilly before you plant them into your pond, or know someone who can apply herbicides to them. water lilly rarely stays contained to one area and is not controlled by grass carp unless they are stocked at high rates. I have seen several pond owners plant some aquatic plants around and usually the plants gain the upper hand in a hurry.

If you decide to plant native aquatic plants dont let them cover more than 20 % of the pond. Aquatic herbicieds will probably be necessary because the plants can grow very rapidly. there are several contact herbicides on the market that will allow you to kill plants in one area of the pond and leave them in others. If used properly herbicides are very safe and very effective on keeping aquatic plants in check. I manage ponds all over the state and I have never seen a pond with good fishing that I would contribute to planting aquatic plants, most of the time its the overabundance of aquatic plants that is holding the fish population back. good fishing usually comes from proper fish management (or just plain luck)

I usually get rid of aquatic vegetation and put in man made stuff like PVC, bricks, pallets etc. I have never seen pallets grow out of control and the fish like them just as much as weed beds.