Your talking about 2 different weeds here. Elodea canadensis is a native northern weed. Brazilian Elodeais a different genus & species called Egeria densa. Both of these plants are similar to Hydrilla, which is an exotic southern plant. Elodea prefers cooler water, but Hydrilla & Egeria densa will grow thick in warm water.

Lake Vilbig, I'll give you my take on the other plants that you mentioned:

Redhead Grass, sometimes called Bassweed (Potamogeton richardsonii) We call this one Clasping-leaf Pondweed. It is a beneficial plant for waterfowl & fish habitat.

Long-Leaf Pond Plant (Potamogeton nodosus) (P. americanus, B&B) No experience with this one, but it is a beneficial native plant.

Wapato Duck Potato or Arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia) We probably sell/plant more of these than any other plant. They rarely go "out-of-control," they look nice, they provide cover for small fish, they help suppress wave impact and shoreline erosion and they provide food for wildlife. Don't be suprised if the leaves drop off after you plant them...this is transplant shock, and a new shoot should appear within a couple weeks.

Deep Water Duck Potato (Sagittaria rigida) I have seen this plant grow as a virtual weed. I agree that it may be beneficial, but if it lacks competition and predation, it can go nuts!

Pickerel Plant (pontederia cordata) Pickerel Weed has many of the same benefits as I listed for Arrowhead, but it can grow thick in up to 2 feet of water.

Arrow-arum or Wapee Duck Corn (Peltandra virginica). Same as Arrowhead...this is a good plant.

Mike Robinson
Keystone Hatcheries

Mike Robinson
Keystone Hatcheries