Had a big oh shxx today. First day of second muzzleloader season here and I was nice and comfortable in the redneck stand while it was snowing outside. Around 4 PM 2 does and 2 fawns came out to the brassica plot and started feeding. Figure I had time and took my time getting organized in the stand. Well after feeding for a minute or two they walked out of the brassica plot behind some switch grass and into a cut corn field. Now they where 100 yards to 120 yards and I decide to let them go and wait for something closer. Well it wasn't until just before 5 PM that 2 more deer entered the plot at about 75 yards away. Shooting closes at 5:06 so it was fairly dark. I saw the long nose thinner neck and believed the deer standing at 65 yards now was a doe. I put the binos on her and didn't see any antlers so I put the scope on her and pulled the trigger. After the smoke cleared I didn't see anything but about 5 seconds after the shot I thought I heard the deer crash. I packed up and walked across the clover plot to where I shot it. Found the tracks in the fresh snow but no blood. Weird I thought I heard the deer crash. I followed the tracks in the snow and after about 10 yards a couple of drops of blood, then more, and more and then after about 35 yards there HE is. Yes I shot a 1 1/2 year old 7 pointer. DAMM. You are only allow two bucks in IL so I am done for shooting bucks this year. I really thought the deer was a doe and was really happy to hit and find the deer but really disappointed that I shot a young buck and robbed myself of a potential great buck later. Oh well I have so good venison aging in the pole barn. Anyone want to come over for tenderloins?

Funny story is I passed this buck twice during archery season at 0 yards (right under the stand) and at 15 yards. No picture of the deer maybe I will get one in the morning before I process him.