Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Question #1... How far is it from the top of the dam to the water? How much freeboard are you clearing?

#2....Any possibility of burning off that little stuff, so you can see what needs to be cut off at the base?

Observation.....Buy a brushcutter, son! This is your perfect opportunity for another tool purchase. Equip it with a tri-blade, and get after it. I can reach 4' with mine, but can't tell if that would be enough for all of what you have...I know it would get a lot of it, and you would be amazed at how quick it is.

I have a DR brushcutter also, but for this kind of work the hand-held unit has it beat all to pieces. As I tell those who ask: This kind of job won't get done without losing copious amounts of blood or sweat. Oftentimes it's both.

Originally Posted By: esshup
75% diesel, 25% gasoline in a pump up sprayer. Windless or low wind day. Soak a small area, light. Keep fire going with the sprayer set on stream if the fire starts to die down. Spray at base of brush/weeds to ensure flames get all the way to the base. That mix is enough to easily light, but not as fast burning (or explosive) as straight gasoline. Keep refilling the pump up sprayer as often as required. If fire doesn't seem hot enough, it can be sprayed at the base of the fire to increase temp without it wanting to climb back up the stream to the sprayer.

Had a pond bank that was covered with small river birch trees, 2'-4' tall. Cutting them all off and spraying the cut stumps with Tordon RTU was a PITA. Burning them seemed to do the trick - no sprouts the following year.

Ok, that's it, moderate me if you must but this is just plain good $hit! laugh

Another donation just posted!

Sprk, question #1; 5' - And I want to clear it all, but on the same hand I need to have some type of grass planted to prevent erosion.
Question #2; ABSOLUTELY!!!

Esshup, you didn't even give me time to ask how I would go about doing that! But on the pump-up sprayer, would I need one designed for flammables? I just have my 3g plastic tank sprayer and I'm guessing the petrol wouldn't be too good on it? (I hope that's not too dumb of a question)

You guys are awesome!!!! Something I never would have thought of, makes perfectly good sense, saves all that "little stuff" from getting in the chain, and a very safe place to do it!

STOKED! grin grin grin

Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Observation.....Buy a brushcutter, son! This is your perfect opportunity for another tool purchase.

LMAO - To see if I can justify it (yeah right) my air compressor took a crap and I'm lost without it, but with the price of a new one I'm going to attempt to rebuild the old one. So with the money I'll save by rebuilding, maybe I can look into the brushcutter whistle

I'm having such an awesome day off and believe it or not I'm getting a lot done, including getting the new barn doors hung. (but, if I would have had an ice auger,,,,,,)

Thank you, everyone for all the input, ideas, and safety concerns.

I'll say it again; PB ROCKS!

Keith

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 12/13/13 02:17 PM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES