Have we established yet if you want high quality BG angling, general BG angling or very little if any BG angling? Are BG for numerous trophy (9"-11") fish or just present as forage items with many in the 2.5"-7" category? I know as often wished, you want it both ways which is why you are adding CNBG and not regular strain BG. It is often very difficult to have it both ways depending on the degree or amount of high quality BG desired. Lots of extra effort is required to get it both ways and I doubt it can be done and still get rapid growth from the HSB. It is a fine narrow line to achieve it both ways and close management - monitoring will be necessary for long term success. Pellet feeding can be the wild card if the fish game is "played" wisely.

IF you want good predation control of BG, I suggest you heed CJBS's advice. Although other options could work depending amount of management. None of this non-traditional fish stocking is well researched and a lot of it is new fish management territory. CJBS suggests - Allow predators to establish, at least to lengths of 10"-15" or more, then add BG as large juveniles or young adults (3"-5"). As HSB decrease the minnows, 1st BG spawn will then fill in the forage gap. Others should weigh in with the stocking rate for BG, but I think 1250/ac (2.5K/2ac) is too many BG for predation pressure only from HSB. Size of HSB and timing have influence on stocked numbers. This option of initial growth of HSB to increased sizes (pre-BG) would be with FHM-shiners or pellets. I prefer the minnow route since it will focus the HSB predation behavior on fish instead of pellets.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/07/13 10:51 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management