Someone ask me about stocking so thought would add it to this thread.

On March 19, 2013 we put in 1500 3-4" BG that had a few RES mixed (maybe 5-10%?)in along with 30# of FHM. The FHM reproduced fantastic and the BG biggest ones are around 5-6" this fall. Also have a bunch of new 3/4" to 2" BG so the original stock matured and spawned. Been hand feeding some floating and sinking catfish 32% pellets. About a half gallon a day lately. Not as much early on.

Then on September 2, 2013 stocked 350 6-8" CC and 350 LMB fingerlings. Amazing how fast those catfish grow with a little feed. Caught a couple and they had big fat bellies and about 10" long already.

Then November 5, 2013 stocked some more RES, another 125 3-4" to add to the what was in the initial stock. For a new pond we had a tremendous crop of snails so I wanted to make sure we had adequate RES to keep them in check.

In our renovated pond at the same time also put 125 RES and had caught 10 adult BG out of our new pond and put them in about September. Not exactly sure what I'm going to ultimately do with that pond as far as fish go. I may catch a few LMB and put in to keep the BG from getting out of hand.

Edit: I corrected the original stocking rates. I should have known not to rely on memory. I has originally said we only put in 750 BG instead of the 1500 we actually did. After measurement on Google Earth it appears the pond is 3.1 acres.

Last edited by snrub; 02/11/14 12:07 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine