Hesperus brings up liming and fertilizing. With their limited budget and only a relatively few anglers to please/satisfy, I don't think that increasing the 210 ac lake's fertility and creating more fish production will be able to be managed correctly by their limited amount of resources. More fish pounds per acre are not always better. However one can produce larger average sizes of fish in the existing carrying capacity by population adjustments without increasing fertility. It is a combination of fisheries and population management.

More fish being present will require more management even if it just involves harvesting more fish either by angling man hours or by electroshocking - monitoring to maintain the community to be skewed toward larger average sized fishes which I assume is the goal. The clear low fertility water is very capable of growing large trophy class fish, however not very many per acre. Clean water, low productivity lakes (oligotrophic) in US & Canada are testimony of this. With proper fish harvest (management), I think the fishery can be skewed to increase the average size of the species of fish that anglers are seeking. The "trick" is to find a professional fisheries biologist that is knowledgeable enough to recognize what needs to be done and how to accomplish the goal.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/20/13 03:46 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management