I'm really stumped here, we have siphoned from much further away ( like 1 mile up and down drastic elevations) for over a month without a break in siphon and this time I can't even get the siphon to start.

I'm using 2" class 200 PVC pipe, just like several others I have done I used a 2" swing Check valve at the source to keep water from reverse flow but more so to just "auto start" the siphon, I am using my irrigation pump that Pre Charges at 32 Hz and low pressure for 20 seconds then ramps up to 60 Hz and 100 gallons per minute so after a minute or two that pipe looks like a fire hose at the outlet. On my other systems just close the fill valve and away she goes, any air was pushed out or bled out with air bleeders at the highest point.

This time it didn't work so I closed the valve at the outlet, opened the air bleed and filled pipe, waited, filled, waited, filled......... until all air was expelled then went down to the outlet and opened the valve, everything looked good......for about 20-30 seconds then.............nothing but a dribble. It also appears that Im not seeing 600' of water from a 2" pipe

I also added a 45 at the outlet past the valve to keep air from sucking back into the line.

The only thing I can presume is that the 600' of water at a gradual drop of 80-90 feet of elevation can not pull the 250' of steep 50' elevation but this makes zero sense, how would air be introduced to break the siphon? All I can figure is that the over all 40' elevation drop can not pull the initial 50' of rise to get over the "hump", I'm hoping I don't have to have a drop more than my rise or I'm in trouble, well sort of but I can go to the bottom of the outlet pond to gain another 10' of drop. Anyone ever had troubles like this?

Also. on this picture I show what appears as though the pipe zig zags but I was just trying to show steep rise the pipe is fairly straight for the entire run

Last edited by Huskerduck; 11/05/13 07:40 AM.