In my opinion and experience with good habitat, and casual management the SMB would eventually overpower the walleye fishery and deplete the shiner-FHM population. The Shiner-FHM combo will very likely perpetuate with only WE and pellet eating present. I have recently discovered that adult big FHM (3") can maintain a breeding population when only pellet eating perch are present.

Ideally you do not want the WE successfully reproducing. WE recruitment will prevent a good estimation of the size & number of the WE population. Thus one could easily get into a situation of too few shiners and slower growth rates.

I think large rocks/bolders and broken concrete (chunks & slabs) would be better habitat additions to the shallow areas 4ft-6ft deep than the "downed trees".

This particular special habitat pond is a very good way for many of us to learn more about walleye-perch management. Please use this thread to keep us advised of your progress. We like learning and sharing fish raising information on this website.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/16/13 10:55 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management