Not sure where to put this post since i have a myriad of questions....but my most urgent concern is grass control.

I have a 50ac pond in SC. It is actually either an old carolina bay or just groundwater discharge (or both?)....certainly one of the largest naturally occuring freshwater ponds around. It has dried up twice in the last 30 years, to my knowledge, but has always fought back on its own. There has been a fair amount of "urban encroachment" that, IMHO, has caused the groundwater to be less than adequate over the last 4 years. The owners decided it was time to dig a well and control the water levels. Well we did. (pun intended) In spring '04, as I recall, the water was less than 2 feet deep and HEAVY in vegetation, mainly in the form of tall grasses (switchgrass?, johnson grass?). The pond was not fished due to the vegetation. I seem to recall a stocking of 5000 bluegill and 2000 LMB in that time frame. I do not know if it was wise to stock before the pump was installed, but it seems to have worked adequately. We have been pumping for about 9 months and are now at "full pool." The deepest portions are in the 8 foot range.

So, here we are. A 50 acre pond with a great deal of these grasses. At a meeting we discussed carp and chemicals. I was against both at this stage because i felt that these plants will not survive the new water levels. Ergo, no need to mess with them. True or false? or need me to take pics? The amount of visibly open water is increasing and the "mat" of grasses in these areas is substantial, but no signs of regeneration.

Secondly, I put a trap out and caught plenty of bluegill in the 8-14oz range. Surely not scientific, but that leads me to believe that we are on track with fish, if not too many. I directed the club to keep any/all bream they wished. I only caught one bass in the trap (14oz) but have seen some activity and feel that more are available.

The duck hunting was good.

So, I guess I need some help.
  • Is it too early to make a determination about weed control, seeing as how the pond is only recently filled with water?

• What is the simplest way to determine success of stocking?

• I fear carp. I have some in other ponds that have gotten so big that I wish they would quit eating everything in sight.

• I fear chemicals. I have seen a fabulous lilly pad section disappear with overzealous 2-4-D. Is there a better alternative? One that doesn't kill EVERYTHING?

• I want control over the vegetation if it gets out of hand, but it is a FISHING pond and needs structure. Now that we can control the water and know the fish will always have water to live in, what are some affordable ways to increase the structure if we lose most of the vegetation to die off?

Thanks in advance. I know I will get lots of opinions. Just looking for direction. Our SC DNR no longer supplies freshwater (pond) fisheries aid. It is sad....

Anyone in SC or nearby interested in helping manage this pond?