All points so far are valid. Choice of product-method will depend on numerous things. Do you have time to operate and run this machine as a part time business? Work would be seasonal and initial expense would be probably significant. It would talk quite a bit of profit to pay for the ecoharvester. And do you really want to be in that type of business? I doubt that it would be busy enough to pay someone to operate it and make much of a profit. Lake associations and large lake owners would have a need for this 'business'. But as esshup says you need boat ramp access for a large ecoharvester to be used on small waters of 1 to 3 ac.

For 1-3 ac I think the Jensen Lake mower is the best choice for annual trimming of lilies. To permanently kill them without chemicals one would have to mow them every week or two to keep foliage from photosynthesizing and manufacturing food. Dealing with biomass on 2-5 ac would involve pulling cut leaves-stems with a wide floating rake or boat mounted 'rake-blade' to push to shore and dragging them out. A seine has been used to remove lots of floating algae which could be modified to drag out cut leaves-stems. Wind will push most of the cut leaves toward one shoreline where they can be drug out. Quite a bit of work either way.

My suggestion for cheapest and easiest control is to use proper systemic herbicide to kill lilies and dollar bonnet at roots. Experienced applicators such as our resident weed expert Kelly Duffie will know when is the best time to apply to get most effective kill.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/24/13 09:22 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management