So I've got an area just West of my large pond that I'm considering digging out to make a small forage/grow out pond. The area is fairly useless - it was a hill at one time but they cut the top off of it 4 years ago when they built the dam for the big pond. The clay is exposed and grass won't hardly grow on it - it pretty much just washes out into either the big pond or on down the ditch, depending on which side we're talking about...pic below with my idea - area in question in red.

I'm thinking fairly steep sides (2:1ratio) maybe max depth of 8-9 feet, no more than that. Goal is really twofold...the area is wasted so I may as well fill it with water, and it'd give me an option for other aquatics. I'd just add a small culvert on the SouthEast corner, so any runoff goes into the large pond. I'd more expect to need to pump water INTO this pond as there would be virtually no runoff into it - as it's a higher elevation than the other areas.

thoughts?

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous