The house next to mine is in foreclosure purgatory so I took the swimming pool in the back under my wing. It first started with a few Gambusia to fight off the mosquito larva. A few months went by and I noticed that the Gambusia were fat and happy so I had to intervene. I threw in a few BG from the ditch across the street and one little LMB.

Out of the blue, the bank sent someone over to drain the pool and mow the front yard. I did my best to get out all of my children and released them back into the ditch.

The rain came and filled it up again. I had to use some plumber's putty to get it up above the light. I added more Gambusia and some Sailfin Mollies. Later down the road I added some RES and GSH.

In an effort to check on the progress, I poked around with my GoPro. Apparently, the BG from before spawned and some of the young survived. I put 6 RES in and the video footage shows at least 30 3"ers. I've put over 30 GSH in there but I can't detect a trace of them.

I've been trying to get the plankton to bloom. The stuff leaching out of the cement is enough to get the pH and hardness right. I added a cup or so of triple 10 and a whole bag of some leftover Miracle Grow. It's gotten better but the Secchi is still showing about 3 feet. Could I be missing the good green plankton from my bloom?

I caught a big ol RES and tossed it in there a few days ago too.

My excuse for all of this effort is to get some fish raised up to add to a 5 acre pond with the hopes of broadening the forage opportunites for the LMB and big CNBG/RES.

Never mind the handsome fellow...

I've been thinking about raising some of these guys for forage. I'm guessing they are Banded Killifish. Anyone think otherwise?