Kellie, you may be correct on that, I'm no expert. I did this on two ponds that I managed and it seems to have worked, it's been 2 years and still not cattails in those areas, although there are more in another area at one pond. I don't manage them anymore, I only picked it up as the builder/developer I worked for didn't like the price he was being quoted to take care of the 4 ponds we owned in our subdivisions. I did a lot of research on the web and talked to a couple other local pond guys for advice before taking it all on. I actually wanted to keep the cattail due to the heavey fil. algae problem with one of the ponds & it was a bird habitat, but one of the homeowners would call complaining almost weekly. Don't they compete for the same nutrients as the algae? I don't have any cattails in my 7 year old pond and this was my only experience in eraddicating them. I didn't intend to mis-inform, only share what worked for me. My thinking was when cutting you open the stalk which I would think would get the chemical into the plants system faster. BTW, I didn't cut them down to the surface, just to about a foot above. Thank you for your information, I always respect the comments of the pros on this great forum.