I went ahead and changed out some water probably about 50-85%. It was so green I could not believe they were living in it. The fish did perk up and are feeding like crazy so I guess that helped. The water has been staying at arond 79-84 as well which I believe is pretty close to ideal for Tilapia.

I have only checked it once and both the Nitrites and Nitrates were 0. Now since the water is green and the ammonia test turns the water green as well I wonder if it could have made it appear darker?

I know I need to upgrade my filtration system as it is what I got with my tank and has to work too hard as a bio filter since it also picks up some solids as well. That is why I wanted to add some plants or figure out a way to add a mechanical type filter as well.

In the past I have always cleaned my bio balls when changing water/cleaning the tank since they get some full and my filter clogs up. I wonder if this is knocking off or killing too much of the bacteria? The issue I have though is if the bio balls are not cleaned the filter/fountain I have will backup and not work.

Thanks