Kevin,

I recently went through the exact same scenario, only I'm in the south, so I can't help you with the types of grasses to use. However, I can give you some advice.

Talk to your local conservation office and get suggestions on grasses from them. Consider if you want it to be native grass or a pasture-like grass for livestock. Also consider you sunlight conditions. I used a native mix of grasses for wildlife such as, deer and turkey. Using a native grass will also eliminate the need for fertilizers.

When ordering the seeds, order a little more than you think you'll need. You'll probably end up like me and end up spreadomg it pretty generously, having to order more.

My wife and I walked our pond and spread the seed by hand. It took me a couple of weeks to get back out there and cover up the seeds by dragging a 5' roll of chicken wire behind my atv, but after I did sprouts starting coming up. [Note: I'd use something longer than I roll of chicken wire if I were to do it again.] Pulling something (like a section of chain link fence) behind an atv is a good way probably. Be sure to use something that is heavy enough to move some dirt and not get ripped to shreds by tree roots. Secure the device with chains for added weight. Not getting the seeds covered up with dirt will prevent them from germinating and they will wash down into your pond. I was told you can also mulch by spreading square bales of bermuda hay, but that sounded too expensive and time consuming for me. Depends on your pond size.

Also, try to spread the seeds when you know some rains are coming. However, give yourself time to cover the seeds up with dirt before a big storm rolls into town!

0.6 acre pond / 13' max depth / Bonham, TX