Has anyone heard of using a large fountain to control duckweed? I read in the local paper last year about a small pond in a city park that had a terrible case of duckweed. The city didn't want to use chemicals, so instead they put a large standard floating fountain in the middle of the pond and run it much of the time. There is no noticable duckweed in the pond any more.

My theory is that the surface action created by the water splashing back down pushed the duckweed to just limited shoreline areas like a good wind can do. Since the duckweed was then constantly pushed to just a tiny bit of shorline it eventually died off.

Is this just a pipe dream? Do you think they must have done some other treatments that the paper didn't talk about? Have you heard anything like this?

My grandmother has a pond with an awful awful duckweed problem and a solution like this would appeal to lots of relatives who don't want to use chemicals and would love the aestetic aspect of a nice big fountain in the middle of the pond.

Thanks.