Tom - Since you fixed the diffuser problem you may not have as bad of an algae problem this year. Your water visibilities will allow filamentous algae to grow if nutrients are adequate in the bottom zones. Since your algae started in June it was probably a cool water form & not a warm water form such as Cladophora. I don't think you have Pithophora in your location. Although both are very similar structure wise.
I don't prefer the chemical treatment method for the floating algae because when you kill it, it sinks to the bottom and decays. This in most ponds recycles the nutrients back into the water column to grow more algae. However in your pond rooted plants may be growing enough at that time to hopefully absorb the recycled nutrients.

I prefer physical removal of floating algae which removes both the growth and absorbed nutrients from the system, minimizing further growth. Since you are not trying to grow phytoplankton reducing the nutrient load in the pond promotes clear water. Nutrients are what are making all the plants including fila. algae grow.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management