Color me skeptical. We humans are very good at seeing things subjectively if we want to. And how many other factors could be at play? How much bacteria can you add that isn't already there? How much more likely is it the native bacteria is more likely to work in conjunction with aeration (aerobic decomposition) than adding some exotic strains?

When used with aeration I'd be more inclined to believe the aeration did 99.9 percent of the beneficial results with native bacteria which is already there and adapted to the pond. But hey that's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

I once used some bacteria and was astonished to see my filamentous algae disappear. For a time I was a true believer. Over time with this particular trout pond I have noticed this occurs every spring about the same time without adding bacteria. This occurs when water temps warm up a little and Chara (another form of algae but looks more like a plant) becomes established and out competes the FA. Haven't added bacteria in years, and the same phenomenon takes place every year in the spring, after a previous fall drain down when the Chara is dried out. Once the Chara reestablishes itself in the spring - boom the FA is gone. Happening right now.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/11/13 05:33 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.