I got so fed up with my DSL being completely out or extremely slow for weeks at a time, and the landline phone being very expensive and out of service as often as being active, I went with everything-AT&T wireless last winter. So far, so good.

The home phone is just one more family "cell phone" on our account. The house phone lines connect to something that looks like a wireless router instead of connecting to a line from the pole. It has worked flawlessly since I brought it home and plugged it in several months ago. It is actually more convenient than our old landline which was very confusing to use for "local" calls. Living on the WV/VA border, certain Virginia calls didn't require the area code. Similarly, certain West Virginia calls didn't require the area code. Calls to other West Virginia numbers sometimes required just the area code, while others required a "1" in front of the area code. Now we can just use the area code and number for all calls.

My 4G Internet wireless router is fast. We use it with our tablets, computers, and phones. The only drawback is that we are limited to 10 GB per month. Going over the limit costs $10/GB.

The home phone modem/router and the Internet router both have external antenna connections. The home phone box had good signal coverage. The Internet was somewhat low so I added an external antenna which brought the signal levels up considerably.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!