I am from the same area as Indygunworks and been searching for a builder. The one estimate I've managed to get was 30-40k for a 3/4 acre (experienced pond builder). Seems pretty high to me and definitely out of the budget. 3 others have flat out told me they are too busy and dont want the work.

As I explained to Indy in a PM it is so frustrating it makes me want to start up an excavation business and build them myself!

Seriously though, I'm considering doing it myself. For half that cost it seems I could buy a nice backhoe (resell later) and line the pond (no leak worries) with a firestone pondgard liner. Sure it would take a hell of a lot longer. But then I may just be done by the time someone has time to call me back?

The soil removal from the property is the catch. I've come up with many potential uses for a lot of the soil around the property, but I'm sure about half will be left to haul off. Lots of fill dirt always needed in the area...

If I were only doing a 1/4 acre as Indy is, I would do it myself and line it without hesitation!