Originally Posted By: bcotton
MRHELLO,

if you lost fish in 24 hours. It's most likely either a) something in your water or b) stress from the transport. 24 hours is usually too short for your ammonia or nitrite to get high.

if a) you will continue to lose fish. if b) you shouldnt lose anymore fish.

My first question is always where did you get your water? If it was tap water did you treat or filter your water for chlorine or chloramines (whichever applies to your municipality)

Secondly, it could just have been stress from the transport. I may lose 1 out of 30 when i travel fish an hour or longer.

FIsh are usually very vulnerable after a move. Something i do when i get new fish in an RAS is I salt the system with aquarium salt. This provides chloride which helps replenish the slime coat that they lost due to stress and helps fight off diseases like fungus and ick. Most salts are ok as long as they dont have an anti coagulating agent. Salt amounts between 1ppthousand and 3ppt. The only reason i mention the low range is if you are doing aquaponics some plants do not do well harmed by higher salinity.

brian

Excellent points as always Brian! I think he could add salt initially to reduce stress on the fish and then by the time he adds his plants, and adds enough salt free make up water, he wouldn't have any salt left in his system right?

I've been told NO SALT WHATSOEVER in Aquaponic systems. Not sure if that's true but i won't take a chance.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/24/13 09:54 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.