Originally Posted By: Yellow Jacket
Originally Posted By: Okie Bob

I believe homes are supposed to withstand 110 mph winds. Probably higher in Tornado Alley. You're better served staying in the center part of your house and away from windows during a high wind event. My house is built with 2x6 on 16 inch centers, doubled studded at all four corners, and the roof trusses are hurricane strapped to the walls. The walls are J-bolted into the concrete. This house ain't going anywhere unless I take a direct hit from an EF-4 or EF-5. A direct hit from an EF-4 or 5 will not only take your house, it will take anything that's in your basement, including you!

My job requires me to be knowledgable about things like this, and I'm sorry to say that this simply is not correct.

Something as simple as a branch breaking out a window will negate the construction you describe in seconds.

If I lived in tornado alley, an engineered reinforced concrete storm shelter buried below grade would be in place before my family put one foot in the door.

Most houses and barns are built to withstand 90 mph winds. The engineering in jumping up 20 mph to 110 mph is quite the step. You simply could not afford to built a home that can withstand 210 mph winds.

+1 on being below ground. I will try to get pics of our safe room up soon.