Originally Posted By: kenc
All main breakers will blow sometimes when you turn them back on. How could they set the panels up wrong? My brother is an electrian and my electrian has worked for me for 37 years. Both of them say the same thing and niether would do me any harm. Breakers just get weaker over the years and they blow sometimes when they are flipped on and off. Sometimes they go bad without being flipped on. Small breakers are not to costly but a main breaker will cost more then the panel box. That is why I never turn off the main breaker. Al and Brian do know their stuff but I suspect you are an expert as I am in my field. Experts can give an unbiased report so that is why I thought you would do a good job.

We'll talk circuit breakers at a later date and on another thread, but it depends on what type of loads you have that are currently connected (hot) when you flip the mains. Resistive loads are gradual, but inductive loads, like motors, are going to grab everything they can, very quick! If your main CB can't handle the inrush current when you flick it on, usually trip it back out or fry it.

Kasco hasn't posted anything on the 12vdc rig yet, except for a very short video.

Fuses are current limiting devices, as well as circuit breakers. You can get these in every flavor imaginable.

Fuses however, are not Temperature devices wink

If we are going to melt a 25 amp automotive fuse, what makes you think someone won't throw a 50 amp in, or even bypass it altogether?

Brian,
+1 on the higher voltages, that should keep things a bit cooler at the motor level.

A Thermal Circuit Breaker would be a step up, but where would it be placed? It has to work with thermal stuff to get the desired effect of what you are thinking.

Something at the motor that would actually measure the temp of the whirring device would actually be better. Feedback to the controlling device would also be a benefit.

Don't know if you have a controlling device tho?

Look this up: Amps X Volts = Watts

Better yet, (Amps x Volts) / efficiency = Watts.

A 12 volt motor at 10 amps is going to suck the same watts as a 24 volt motor at 5 amps.

Last edited by JKB; 05/01/13 06:43 AM.