Originally Posted By: Omaha
Because of the close proximity to my pond, is it advisable, if possible, to destroy this dam? I kind of want to just for the sake of the creek's health.

Omaha, I found this on the web. Even though the article's origin is Canadian, it's makes some sense:

Destruction of beaver dams alone is not recommended, as it does nothing to make the area unattractive for beavers. If you destroy the dam without eliminating the beaver they will rebuild, often starting the same day. They will use some new trees for repairs and this may accelerate the damage you were trying to stop in the first place. If you remove the beaver and destroy the dam perhaps other beavers will move into the attractive site. If this is the approach you will take prepare to be vigilant.

I too have a creek running near my pond but I've seen no new beaver activity (no fresh cut trees, etc.) and no new dams. My problem is the dens that were made in my pond as I've discussed in a different post.

I believe there's also only two types of beaver, North American and European who inhabit ponds, rivers and creeks, etc. If yours have limited themselves to the creek, your lucky!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES