We need a little carification about this sodium percarbonate stuff.
1. My statement: "Sodium peroxycarbonate acts by oxidizing the skin on the algae while releasing oxygen." Think of it as similar to action of a strong acid on your skin. The chemical eats into the skin and does damage which is similar but not the same as to how peroxycarbonate works.
2. Sodium peroxycarbonate works best on the species of bluegreen algae, especially those that for surface film/scums. It will kill other algae but the dosage needed is higher than for dealing with bluegreens. It works where ever the dissolved solution is strong enough to cause an oxidation reaction and the amount of material to be oxidized. Application rate, resistance to oxidation, and dilution have big influences.
3. Sodium peroxycarbonate is more effective in cold water compared to copper based compounds such as copper sulfate and Cutrine-Plus. But peroxycarbonate works better and faster in warmer water because the oxidation process is faster, more reactive, and more violent-effective. Again, compare it to battery acid on your skin, the more of it on your skin, the longer you let in on there and the less water to wash it off (dilution) the more the damage.
4. As I understand oxidation and algae,when peroxycarbonate is on the algae, the oxygen atom is released from the H2O2 to form H2O + O the reaction causes disruption or breakdown of the organic material at the surface of the algae. This breakdown of the algal membrane if strong enough it can cause the algae to die.
5. From my experience and other experts it takes more peroxycarbonate material to kill filamentous green algae compared to bluegreen and other more delicate phytoplankton species. When using peroxycarbonate on filamentous algae it is much easier to kill it when it is small and strands are short 1/2"-2" long. Key to success is to treat the algae early and don't let it get tall massive growths.
6. I have never directy compared the two products GCleanPro & Phycomycin in side by side tests. I do not know exactly how Green CleanPro (China) is manufactured compared to Phycomycin (USA made). Both have the same chemical formula. The processes or materials may be slightly different. Lot of things made in China are done differently than those used by USA standards. Theoretically both chemicals should be the same or react similarily, but there could be subtle differences.
7. Phycomycin at higher dose rates will kill green algae and other groups in a plankton bloom based on the sensitivity of the species. However to have a major impact on an entire algae bloom the product has to be applied onto the entire surface. Reactivity of the dissolving granules is down to 6 ft deep before all the granules are dissolved. Some algae species have thicker outer skins thus they are more resistant to the oxidation reaction. With peroxycarbonate, I always tell people to do several small test strips or areas using light to heavy dosages. Discover which dosage works for your application. The wide range of recommended dosages of 2-100 lbs per acre are due to the wide range of types of algae and their morphology differences and their sensitivities to the oxidation reaction.
8. I will check with the chemist at Pak27 about the effects of hard water on effectiveness of peroxycarbonate. I doubt there is a relationship because peroxycarbonate has little effect or impact on inorganic compounds and thus as minerals are unaffected by the oxidation process.

As I see it, the big benefit to peroxycarbonate is it leaves no harmful chemical residue and releases oxygen, water and sodium carbonate (Na2CO3 - washing soda) in the algae killing process. A very different more environmentally safe chemical process compared to copper based heavy metal algacides.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/08/13 08:58 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management