A friend just sent me these pics of trout that he and another friend caught out of my trout pond a few years back.

The first is of him with a couple of browns in the 8 to 9 pound range out of the pond.

The next photo is of myself tabulating weights and lengths of 10 brown trout to 9 lbs. before freezing. I had to tell them to stop fishing as I was running out of freezer space!

Funny story about that evening's fishing:

I had a husband and wife over that afternoon to catch them with Orvis rods, vests, fancy flies, the whole nice yards. I tried to tell them my big browns weren't interested in itty bitty fies but they would have none of it. I offered them some of my pantyhose pellets and that was met with disdain.

While I went out to check on them a big approximately 8 pound brown came straight out of the water like an upright porpoise as if to take a gander at them. Or perhaps he was laughing. Take your pick. Of course they did what every angler would do, they cast to the fish but to no avail. Anyway, after over 2 hours of flailing the water they gave up in a huff.

Not long after they left a couple of my friends showed up and eagerly took the pantyhose pellet flies. I remember one of them saying, "Hey whatever works is fine with me." The rest was some really fast fishing for some nice big hook jawed male browns as you can see!

These browns were definitely locked into "match the hatch." Believe it or not they had no interest in live bait either. They wanted the pellets!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/17/13 05:46 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.