With any smoking wood I strongly advise only using seasoned wood. Some experts know how to use green Hickory, but that's beyond my experience and capabilities. You can ruin an expensive meal in a hurry using wood not fulled cured unless you are versed in the art of green smoking.

Esoteric circles of professional smokers will ONLY use wood once bark has been stripped - and they're adamant about it. I don't think it's critical, but I have noticed a slight taste improvement removing bark. If possible, I'd remove or at least select pieces with less bark if it's not a huge chore.

I have never had any mice set up shop in my equipment at home, but they get into everything at the farm. I'd suggest baiting your garage very well to keep numbers down and you should be ok.

I don't notice a smoke smell from my garage but I'm careful to make sure the garage door is closed when I smoke. I think you'll be ok. The cooler can set outside anyhow - those plastic things are cheap and easily replaced if it starts to warp.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]