Instar, this is probably more information than you want, but maybe not?? smile Regardless, here goes. It's really hard to find accepted values for Fulton's condition index because the values get larger as fish get bigger. So, as an example, the accepted values for 10-15 inch carp would be a lot lower than for 25-30 inch carp. I hope that makes sense. If you are familiar with Fulton's condition factor, you might be familiar with Carlander's Handbook of Freshwater Fishery Biology, Volume 1? It would at least have some comparison information on Fulton's K from other fish populations across North America. I might be able to photocopy those pages and mail them to you??

Instar, if you meant the standard weight equation for common carp (so you can calculate relative weight, as Scott asked in response to you), I have that in either metric (mm-g) or English (inches-pounds) units. I could give you the equation right away here on the Forum, or if you gave me a day or so, I could get an extended standard weight table for common carp. I'd need to know if you wanted inches-pounds, or mm-g.

Scott, no, Fulton's condition factor is not the same as relative weight. It was a pre-cursor and is more difficult to use. Again, this is probably overkill but Fulton's condition factor using fish total length and metric units (mm-g) is 100,000 times the weight, then divided by the length cubed. smile Sorry....

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.