Hello PB forum! I am a long time reader, first time poster.

Brief history.......I am blessed to be part owner and manager of a 12 acre pond in central AL. We dammed it up in Dec. 2002, added bream and fatheads in 2/03, LMB fingerlings in 6/03 and began serious fishing in 6/04. Stocked 1/3 Florida LMB , 2/3 F-1 tiger LMB. Only one goal for this pond, Trophy LMB!

We have fertilized every year and added lime twice since the initial liming. We basically remove all bass under 15 inches. I add 15-25 x-mas trees a year for structure. I fish at least once weekly and pull out about 20-25 lbs per acre per year. In 4/08, added threadfin shad. The pond is about 20 feet deep and the shad thrived, surviving a couple of very cold winters.

Caught my first 5 pounder in 8/05. Since then I have caught 48 LMB between 5 and 8 pounds. Caught the last 8 two weeks ago. My sons and other friends have caught numerous 5+ during past five years.

So, here is where I am today. I want to take it up a notch or two. I have been thinking for the last couple of years of adding larger forage to beef up the bigger bass. I have been advised that golden shiners would not do well in my pond (no grass or much cover in the shallows).

I've avoided gizzard shad after much reading ( the majority of which is on these boards). But, I am having second thoughts. I revisited the possibility of stocking gizzard this year, and now, I think I'm going to do it!

I would appreciate any comments, advice, wisdom or experience any of you might have about the stocking of GS.

Thanks.

Last edited by Trader; 05/03/15 06:43 PM.