Originally Posted By: fish n chips
I don't know if this will help, but I think it was John Monroe (sp?) that had a pretty extensive thread on his experience building a floating island. It was about a year ago?

Edit: here is the thread I was thinking about http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=298434&page=6 . Apparantly is was started by AP and then Monroe tried his version starting around page 6.

Thanks, fish n chips. I actually followed John's thread pretty closely and he did a beautiful job. I am shooting for a different application, though, as this stage. I had originally considered that sort of project when John started his, but have since decided I really like the food chain/nutrient cycle impact that this sort of floating island has, again, a la Floating Islands International. I have a very nutrient heavy pond and, while I have eliminated some of the biggest causes of nutrient overloading, I still need to go after them and feel this is another good step. The other sort of floating island does not appear to have the same level of impact, although it is certainly a positive for a pond.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB