Originally Posted By: 2Old2Soon
I'm surprised this thread has gone to 3 pages with no mention of a golf cart. I have not bought anything yet, but for basic transportation, light utility and sheer thrift, it seems like a viable option. Any thoughts?

Absolutely. Golf carts can make great 2WD UTVs. My TW-400 Trail Wagon by American Sportworks, mentioned above, is two steps up from a golf cart. Below mine is a TW-200 shown on the spec sheet I posted. It is basically a modified golf cart. They are quite affordable.

I have several friends with golf carts that they modified into UTVs by adding ATV-type tires, replacing the golf-club carrier with a utility bed, and adding a 2-inch hitch receiver. For general transportation, hauling 200-400 lbs. of stuff, or towing a moderate trailer, they work just fine. We've seen them sell for less than $100 at auction, usually only needing minor repairs. One friend recently got one for $100 at a yard sale that had already been modified, but had a blown head gasket. The repair manual and parts cost him $75. It took him about three hours to have a fully functioning UTV based on a golf cart.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!