Size and price doesn't always matter.

We've got a little Side x Side UTV that we love -- and it wasn't anywhere near as expensive as the well recognized names. We call her "Lizzie" since she looks like an early Model-T Ford Tin Lizzy pickup truck from pre-1920.

I've got about $5000 invested in her, based on discounts and coupons. That includes the machine you see with roof and windshield (standard), plus the front 2-inch receiver, winch, and 60-inch snow plow that installs/removes with the lift of a single handle and disconnecting the winch hook. Everything else was standard. Oh, and I've got about another $65 dollars invested in chains for the rear wheels.

I got the 2-wheel drive model with a locking rear differential. The shocks are adjustable. The dump bed has a 400 lb., carrying capacity and the rear hitch has an 1100 lb., towing capacity. There is an electric lift option for the dump bed that I think I'm going to invest in.

The thing runs on a near-stock Honda 390cc GX engine (the machine has a 5-gallon external gas tank that replaces the original tank). It has electric and recoil start accessible by tipping the dump bed. The engine moves the machine via a continuously variable transmission.

It is made in Louisianan by American SportWorks. I got mine through Tractor Supply, but I believe that some Home Depot stores and some Mennard stores carry them too.

We got it to help keep hours off the tractor and my pickup truck. So far we haven't had any big snows, but it sure has handled two 3-inch snows quite well, in our rather steep driveway. I don't think I'd have any problem pushing 8-10 inches of snow with it. Yesterday I took Bob L., all over our hilly property, through the woods in several inches of snow, without ever spinning the tires.

It isn't for everyone. But, I've got other equipment available when this thing isn't up to the task.

Here the are specs:

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!