Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Originally Posted By: Peepaw
Here's a couple of layouts we put together for a few clients.

The Kelsay job was to add 25% of the 20% of surface area of the 6.5 acre pond in artificial habitat. The remaining 75% of the suggested 20% was installed with plants, boulders, rock/rubble and large wood. The goal was to add just over 1.3 acres of habitat, or 20% of the surface area as Bob suggests.

The smaller one acre pond in Texas, wanted all artificial habitat, with no weeds or aquatic plants. Note the travel paths from shallow to deep. It is based on 25% of the surface area in habitat.

Thoughts -
On Kelsey project: Various pondweed cultivars will be introduced into NE ponds - Sago, American, Horned, etc. which will, depending on the water clarity, likely grow around the perimeter of the entire pond 3-10' out. One thing folks forget is that aquatic vegetation is "structure/habitat" - and unless there's a intensive management plan it should be added into the 20% formula, right? Just a thought...

You bet, that's how I understand it. The 20% rule is a combination of all materials, including and especially the plants. Just under 15,000 sq. feet of artificial habitat was installed, about 35,000 sq. feet of vegetation and 9000 sq. feet of logs and boulders. The vegetation will increase over time.

In a best case scenario, a healthy weed line grows annually, without getting out of control. As ewest and Bob point out, most productive for fry and forage protection. I'll guess Chris had about 60% of the remaining habitat installed in aquatic vegetation. The boulders and logs add up as well to put him in good shape for now.

On the TX project: Owner wants zero vegetation...hope he realizes that's impossible without heavy duty management plan. Did he stock hundreds of GC or does he own DuPont - laugh? Seems an improbable expectation, I guess you just shrug your shoulders and do what he contracts you to do...guy's gotta make a living after all.

Agreed and discussed with client. "Least weeds as possible" was the request. They opted to install 25% of the surface area, or 11,000 sq. feet of artificial habitat.

Keep your eyes open, the material can be found in many places. The intention has always been to re-use/recycle what is safe for the fish and water. No different than old pallets, buckets, pipes, wood...stuff that will sit in a corner, or get tossed out anyway.

PS: I really like the concept [utilizing post consumer product] and design of this PVC structure - superior IMO to globes or the standard trees with 1" PVC branches - which is what I've used, but because it was free/cheap/readily available.