Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
Anyone try cheap fake Christmas trees for longevity? Or do the plastic "needles" make a mess? I would bet they last a lot longer than the real thing.

I don't like the idea of small plastic pieces degrading or floating around the BOW, but that's just me. I like the idea of using PVC as it's meant to be submerged in water...not sure about ye olde Walmart Xmas tree!

Me neither, but have seen them used, garland as well. I would think it would "clog" full of algae pretty quick, closing much of the available space for fish to utilize. The bare frame would be cool but the wire wouldn't last forever and it would snag like a banshie!

That product for ice fishing is kinda cool. Portable, designed to install and remove when you leave. I bet it works well in waters with little cover. Check it out

Quote: Dr. Dave Willis of the SDSU Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences tracked the progress of the research. “I was not surprised by the yellow perch using them,” he said. “I was surprised by the sheer number of egg masses on the Reel Weeds™.”
Willis said the biggest benefit of Reel Weeds™ is the product’s ease of use, ease of removal and longevity.

Reel weeds Ledredge outdoors

I do know they were making weighted plastic weeds designed for the YP ice fisherman a few years back, believe it or not. One was supposed to drill holes in a circular pattern around their fishing holes and the weeds were said to attract YP.

Last edited by Peepaw; 11/13/12 10:47 PM.