Originally Posted By: Russ
I'm not exactly sure (and quite frankly scared) what direction this post will take next so I'm going to post quickly and retreat.

Referring back to Cat's post, my intent is to never release the crappie into my small 0.13 acre pond. The whole experiment was to see whether or not I could get black crappie to accept pellets. In my case that answer is yes. Your comment about flesh mass of BG vs BCP is interesting.

I'd also like to address a note I received concerning feed. From the date that I introduced pellets to the last week of October I figure that I used 16-17 lbs of feed.

With cooler temps of Fall and Winter moving in, I'm shifting my focus from BCP to the RBT I picked up from the hatchery yesterday. Barring any significant changes, I will update this post after ice out next spring.

I now return you to your (ir)regularly scheduled debate.

For all those that have commented, thank you !

- Russ

Russ,

I really am sorry I hijacked your thread. I didn't think it would cause the raucous it did!

Personally I believe any fish can be pellet trained if:

1.) They are crowded when small to make the feeding response competitive and there is nothing else to eat. (Raising water temps helps too).

2.) The feed starts out as soft, sinking, and palatable just like in nature, and there is something in the feed to stimulate the feeding response as in initially mixing in fish or krill products.

This can be enhanced through a selection process over a few generations and beyond, and those that are genetically predisposed to not feed train well are eliminated from the equation.

I also believe feed training fish that have come out of winter in a low or nonfeeding state is easier from my experience.

I have old aquaculture texts that say largemouth bass are next to impossible to feed train. Feed trained bass are the rule not the exception now due to economic reasons. More recently I've also heard others say redear are the same way, but at least two posters here have, or are, doing it. Bill Cody knows a fish producer that did also.

Bill Cody has had success feed training even adult fish which many say is next to impossible.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/06/12 04:08 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.