Originally Posted By: RAH
This has been the most inactive first week of the season that I can remember. I have been out every morning and evening since openning day on Monday and only seen 12 deer.

It sounds like you need to come sit on my front porch or pond dock. I've been too busy with other things to be concerned about deer this early in the season. I'm seeing herds of 10-20 on a daily basis -- eating the new grass on my new pond, eating apple waste from my worm bins, breaking the branches on my pear trees, and munching on the winter rye in next spring's garden site!

My buddies wanted me to come get a dazed 6-point deer early this morning as they were headed to work. One of them hauled it off the highway and into the ditch on the way to work. He figured it was non-fatally injured after getting hit by a vehicle near my house. I was too busy making apple butter!

We've got more acorns this season than I've ever seen before, and we've got a bumper crop of deer too.

I'm not worried about being late to the deer hunting party this year.

I'm cleaning out the last of last year from the freezer, and turning into pastrami, sausage, and other good eats.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!