Originally Posted By: Tums
Originally Posted By: Bill Duggan
I was told by an employee of Ken's that I knew fairly well that GG is a cross between five different species of fish and only Ken and his son Jason know the exact cross. I'm not saying this is true and the person who told me was repeating what they were told, as take that for what it is worth.

ewest could someone run a DNA test on a GG as get the mix if not the cross

Bill I have a little story to tell you. I bought several GG in the 1990's and had some moster fish. I started showing them to people in my area and sending them to Ken's. One Saturday I was to be in the area and dropped in on Ken's (very nice fellow I might add) to pick up some bass fingerlings. For some reason the order was not ready and Ken took time to show me around and talk about some things while the order was being corrected. Anyway we got on the subject of the GG and the make up of the fish I had . I was told the fish came from 4 different fish. However a 5th could have been breeded in since then. Do not know what species so I will not speculate on that. However I do remember something like atleast 1 species was a very aggressive predator to make aggressive food consumption for the growth rate.
BTW I remember by the time I left Ken was laughing with me for showing up in a 2 door sports car to pick up fish. LOL

Would you happen to have any pictures of your Monster GG you had back then. It should would be nice to know what fish were used. Even if one had all the fish involved, pairing them up could be another story.