Bill that is conceivably possible. Problem is there has been so little genetic testing on Lepomis species (BG , RES , GSF , PS , LES etc)that there is nothing to compare against. It would be a start from scratch effort. My guess is that no university would do this as it would be a long term and very expensive effort with no $ payback. Heck they don't even have the human genome mapped fully so Lepomis gene mapping is a long way off.

SP said "If we eliminate the variances due to reciprocal crosses, and discount coloration as a steadfast method of identification due to differing water clarity from one BOW to another,"

I look at all available morphology including color , pattern , body shape , physiology etc . That includes a lot of things , many we can't see from a single pic.

Bruce's dad fish looks like every adult GG I have seen. There does not seem to be much variation in them (GG) like you see in BG , GSF and their crosses. They (GG) are round and have a opercula flap like that and have that color /scale pattern and fins shaped and colored that way. Big mouth with blueish streaks.

What I can't tell you is how far off from that cross is a true GG. The mix could occur naturally (or close)under the righ conditions. It probably is not a pure (laugh) GG or from Ken but I bet if you did the genetic testing it would be close.

Last edited by ewest; 09/20/12 01:41 PM.